Shipping Policies and Information
- We usually ship your wine to you via Ground, FedEx Express Saver (3-Day) or FedEx Cold Chain.
- We pay for shipping of case orders (12 x 750ml or equivalent) via Ground wherever legal in the lower 48. Please see below for details.
- We may hold shipments if weather conditions are unsuitable. Please see below.
- We can only ship where it is legal to do so and only to people aged 21 or above.
- An adult (21+) signature is always required to receive wine shipments. For this reason it is often easier to ship to a business address. We strongly recommend shipping to a business address.
- Please ensure your shipping address is correct.
Wine can be damaged if exposed to temperatures below 20°F or above 85°F. For that reason we do not ship Ground when the temperature is predicted to be damaging at our location, your location or en route between the two.
What to do About Weather
If you are in no hurry for your wine, let us store it for you at no cost to you. We will notify you when conditions are suitable to ship your wine. The wine will almost certainly taste even better after a few weeks or months of additional aging.
If you want your wine more quickly, we use FedEx Express Saver (3-Day) or FedEx Cold Chain (summer months). FedEx Express Saver (3-Day) is quick, but sometimes more expensive. We keep rates as low as we can bear. If you order a case (12 x 750ml) we will charge what FedEx charges us for the upgraded service minus what we would have paid for Ground.
FedEx Cold Chain is available June through October. FedEx Cold Chain shipments are sent via refrigerated truck from Adastra to the destination warehouse (the FedEx Hub nearest to you). From there they travel via FedEx Express truck for delivery by 10:30 a.m. to your shipping address. FedEx Cold Chain is less expensive than FedEx 2Day and is available to most destinations. However, it requires a lead time of about two weeks. Again, if you order a case, and opt for Cold Chain shipping, we will charge you what FedEx charges us minus what we would have paid for Ground.
With both FedEx Cold Chain and FedEx Express Saver (3-Day) services, it is especially important that an adult (21+) be present to sign for receipt of the wine at the time of delivery. Otherwise the wine stays on the truck, thereby exposing it to the elements and defeating the purpose of the shipping method. An adult also needs to sign for receipt of Ground deliveries (but because of the time we ship, adverse weather is less of a consideration). If you can, please choose to ship to a business address.
Shipping wine is not like shipping a paperback book. Wine is perishable, heavy, the bottles are breakable and the deliveries require an adult signature. Protective shipping materials are required, and a single 750ml bottle weighs upwards of three pounds. We are always on the lookout for better ways of transporting wine, but meantime, please understand that proper shipping is a worthwhile investment to protect your purchase.